Cancún International Marathon
A race in paradise that will test your limits.
The Maratón Internacional de Cancún, or Cancún International Marathon, is a sporting event held in this beachside city, traditionally on the first Sunday in December.
The event brings together professional athletes and amateur runners who gather during a time of year when running through the streets of Cancún is particularly delightful.
When Is the Cancún International Marathon and What Is It Like?
Typically held in December each year, usually on the first Sunday of the month, the marathon covers a distance of 26 miles. However, there’s also a half-marathon category (13 miles) along with 6-mile and 3-mile races.
While the route may vary, it’s common for the marathon to start and finish at the Antigua Torre de Control (Old Control Tower) monument, stretch along the road to Tulum, and reach Playa Delfines in Cancún’s hotel zone.
It’s normal to have hundreds of participants from different parts of the world, lending it an international allure.
Tips for Attending:
- Rest more, train less. In the last three weeks before the race, it’s advised to run less and rest more.
- Avoid wearing new shoes on race day to prevent blisters and chafing.
- Ensure you have breakfast. Energy is crucial for running a marathon!
- Carry energy bars to help you through the race.
- Hydrate periodically. Drink water frequently but in small amounts.
- Enjoy the experience. Marathons are sporting events that generate great excitement and attract many fans. Soak up the atmosphere and have fun.
Antigua Torre de Control, Carretera Cancún - Tulum SM 10, Cancún, Q.R., MéxicoSee map