Glimpse the mining past of this Magical Town that shines with history, culture, and natural beauty. Canyons, rivers, gorges, flora, and fauna await in Batopilas.
Things to do
Services in Batopilas
What Makes It Magical
Its splendid past produced by the silver brought out of its mines is only surpassed by the stunning beauty of the eponymous canyon and its incredible natural surroundings—glens, rivers, exotic trees, delightful flowers and birds. However, its greatest treasure is surely its people. They are heirs to an exceptional, age-old culture.
Why You Should Go
Its Mining Vibe
- In 1706, rich veins of silver were struck, and La Bufa and Batopilas became world famous.
- The British, French, and US Americans poured capital into mining operations.
At the Very Least
Tour Mina de Cerro Colorado mine with a guide who can lead you through tunnels, across bridges and canals, and to see grindstones.
- Hike the main rivers, streams, and the old trails that connected missions.
- Visit Mina La Bufa, one of the region’s 300 most active mines.
- Hike or mountain bike along the river in Batopilas canyon. The views are gorgeous.