Discover an authentic desert town, explore an old mine and some extraordinary caves, and visit a ghost town.
Things to do
Services in Mapimí
What Makes It Magical
This a truly unique spot. Its colorful history and location in the midst of an inhospitable desert give a certain air of mystery. Moreover, its striking monuments and scenery are breathtaking, especially the famous ghost town of Ojuela.
Why You Should Go
Ojuela Mine and Its Hanging Bridge
- It was the second poly-metallic mine in the world and one of Mexico’s most important mines.
- Silver, gold, copper, lead, zinc, and magnesium were mined here.
- Its hanging bridge is 1,148 feet long and was inspired by the design of the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
- The Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (Royal Road of the Heartland), a World Heritage site, runs by the town.
At the Very Least
Venture across the hanging bridge that is 6 feet wide, and check out the bottom of the canyon some 328 feet below.
- Whiz across the zip line above Ojuela, and pose for pictures on the bridge.
- Visit Mapimí’s unusual cemetery.
- Explore nearby Grutas del Rosario caves.