Ride a bike around the shores of Presa Brockman. Gaze in awe at monarch butterflies at Santuario La Mesa. Discover El Oro’s mining past in the museums and buildings.
Things to do
Services in El Oro
What Makes It Magical
After the gold mining possibilities were discovered in the 18th century, this town in the middle of pine and sacred fir forests quickly began to grow. Several foreign, particularly British, mining companies set up shop, leaving a European influence on the town’s culture and architecture.
Why You Should Go
The Mining Atmosphere
- The stately buildings and squares give you an idea of the mining boom brought on by gold in particular.
- The mines were considered the second richest in the world after Transvaal in Africa.
- The late 19th and early 20th century was its age of splendor, when ore deposits were found.
At the Very Least
Visit Teatro Juárez and Town Hall.
- Mountain biking around Presa Brockman.
- Head up to Tiro Norte to see the town from above.
- In winter, admire the monarch butterfly at La Mesa Sanctuary.