Explore the archeological ruins at the top of the hill. Visit a convent that is one of the best examples of the religious architecture of New Spain. Check out the local handicrafts.
Things to do
Services in Tepoztlán
What Makes it Magical
Situated at the base of the Cerro del Tepozteco, visitors are fascinated by the history of this town and its mysticism, warm climate, and energy. You can come to relax and meditate or, after a little climb, for purification. But it’s also a town of festivals, as seen in the Chinelos dance, full of energetic jumping that fill the neighborhoods with life and joy throughout the year.
Why You Should Go
The Cerro del Tepozteco
- The pyramid was built 800 years ago by the Xochimilca. It was a site of worship that attracted large pilgrimages.
- It’s where they worshipped Ometochtli Tepoztécatl, the god of pulque associated with the wind and the bounty of nature.
- The mountain range it forms part of has been a Protected Natural Area since 1937. You can find some 54 endemic species here, and a large number of bird species call it home.
At the Very Least
Check out the pre-Hispanic structure at the top of the hill and take in the view of the town from the top.
- Looking around the Ex Convento de la Natividad and its museum.
- Checking out the handicrafts at the stalls downtown.
- Visiting the Museo Carlos Pellicer.