Gaze out at the Pacific Ocean, ride a boat through its mangrove forests, discover the sea turtle camp, and release baby turtles in hatching season.
Things to do
Services in Mazunte
What Makes It Magical
Mazunte awaits on the Oaxacan coast. Its promise of sand, sun, and sea is more than met. When entering this coastal community, you will be welcomed by thatch-roofed palapas turned into restaurants, little hotels–many ecological–and buildings made with natural materials such as wood, adobe, and palm fronds. Here, where the ocean warms your feet, is the place turtles come back to year after year.
Why You Should Go
A Quintessential Ecological Destination
- Protected fields for sea turtle conservation.
- Hundreds of olive ridley sea turtles lay eggs at night during specific lunar phases.
- In smaller numbers, green, leatherback, and hawksbill turtles also arrive.
At the Very Least
Witness the amazing nighttime arrival of olive ridley sea turtles that come to lay their eggs on its beaches (from June to December).
- Take a Hridaya Hatha Yoga class in the eponymous center.
- Sleep in a teepee in the middle of nature in El Copal hotel.
- Support local communities by buying natural products.