Visiting this Magical Town is a must, since Creel is the entrance to the Copper Canyons. Let yourself be awed by the majestic scenery, indigenous peoples, and gorgeous natural surroundings.
Things to do
Services in Creel
What Makes It Magical
Everyone says that this is the doorstep of the Copper Canyons, that there is a wealth of natural beauty, and that you will leave part of your heart here when you receive a Rarámuri smile, but no one prepares you for the adventure that is about to begin once you step foot in Creel.
Why You Should Go
- One of the longest and deepest canyon systems in the world, with more than 37,000 miles of mountains.
- They are the birthplace of some of the most important rivers in northwestern Mexico, such as Urique Verde, Septentrión, Chínipas, and more.
- 30% of Mexico’s recorded terrestrial species live here.
- It is inhabited by 290 bird species, 24 of which are endemic and 10 of which are endangered. Thousands of migratory birds arrive from Canada and the United States to winter here.
- It is the home of the Rarámuri people. In the Americas, they are the ethnic group that has been able to best preserve its customs.
At the Very Least
Ride the cable car in Parque de Aventuras Barrancas del Cobre, close to Divisadero.
- Take the Tren Chihuahua al Pacífico (El Chepe Express Train).
- Visit the Museo de la Cultura Tarahumara.
- Hike up to the Monumento de Cristo Rey at dusk and savor the view.