Lagos de Moreno
Admire its wonderful buildings, some of which date back to 1563. Stroll through the squares and gardens. Enjoy the fascinating charro culture.
Things to do
Services in Lagos de Moreno
What Makes it Magical
The architecture in Lagos de Moreno is so refined as to be on par with that of many of the state capitals. Unsurprisingly, it’s a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. Apart from that, it’s also where you can find the rich culture of the Mexican countryside, the beauty and grace of Los Altos de Jalisco.
Why You Should Go
The Historic Center
- The town has seen dozens of elegant buildings go up since it was founded in 1563.
- The Historic Center, along with the famous, gorgeous bridge over the Lagos River was designated a UNESCO World Heritage in 2010 as part of the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (Royal Road of the Heartland).
- The churches and religious buildings stand out in downtown, as do the plazas and gardens that, together with the river, make for a lovely outing.
At the Very Least
Explore the Nuestra Señora de la Asunción Parish Church, construction of which began in 1741. It constitutes a superb example of Mexican baroque art.
- Slowing down to check out the Parish Church and its unique facade.
- Catching a charreada (Mexican display of ranching skills) at Hacienda de Cantera or Rancho Verde.
- Taking a horseback ride around the nearby ranches.