Tetela de Ocampo
Check out the historic murals. Enjoy a fine meal. Explore the woods.
Things to do
Services in Tetela de Ocampo
What Makes It Magical
Under the watch of the Zotolo and Zoyayo mountains, the town of Tetela awakens each day with its gaze toward the past. It looks back to when its name was Tetela de Oro and not de Ocampo, when its days were marked by the rhythm of mining and wrought-iron workshops. Then came the 19th century and the liberal stirrings of the people would see it play a role in several battles against the conservatives of the time. Looking back to 1862, the town recalls its role in the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, and why they call it the “Thrice Heroic Tetela de Ocampo.”
Why You Should Go
Its Role in the Battle of Puebla
- Tetela de Ocampo is where the Sixth Battalion of National Guards was formed and from whence it marched. It was comprised of officers, soldiers, and militiamen largely from Tetela.
- The first Mexicans to face the French army at Loreto and Guadalupe hills in Puebla hailed from Tetela.
- On April 8, 2020, the Magical Town was declared the “Tres Veces Heroica Tetela de Ocampo” (Thrice Heroic Tetela de Ocampo) by the state congress.
At the Very Least
Check out the murals that depict the historical events of Tetela de Ocampo.
- Checking out the personal items of historic figures.
- Climbing the belltower of Iglesia de Santa María de la Asunción to get a view of the surrounding landscape.
- Walking through its Sunday square and shopping for handmade goods.
- Heading out to the waterfalls, canyons, and caves.