Venture into the surrealist garden, admire its stone sculptures and orchids; browse the Sunday market, and on the same day, join in the huapangueada dancing; have some zacahuil for breakfast and wash it down with a cup of locally-grown coffee.
Things to do
Services in Xilitla
What Makes It Magical
Xilitla is tucked deep in the sub-tropical rainforest—it is an ode to all things green, bathed in waterfalls and protected by caves. Here, the surreal scenery of its garden will catch your attention, especially the Escalera al Cielo (Stairway to the Skies) sculpture. But the music of its violins and the market that sets up every Sunday also draw the area’s people together in appreciation for local crops and to stomp out to the rhythm of Huapango music. This is Tenek land, people who cultivate coffee and embroider quexquémitl shawls.
Why You Should Go
Las Pozas Sculpture Garden
- This is the world’s only surrealist garden, the creation of the Scot Edward James.
- It is a 9-hectare sculpture garden where not only orchids bloom, but sculptures seem to sprout from the ground.
- In addition to wild art and vegetation, as the name indicates, it has pools of cool water below fantastic waterfalls.
At the Very Least
Snap a selfie on the Escalera al Cielo (Stairway to the Skies) and El camino de las 7 serpientes (Path of the 7 Snakes), Edward James’ emblematic sculptures.
- Sample and buy the delicious, certified-organic local coffee.
- Dance in the traditional Sunday town dance, called huapangueada.
- Relax in a temascal in Los Comales, by Las Pozas.