El Carmen Temple and Museum

Templo y Ex Convento del Carmen

A yearned-for monastery with stories of nuns, art and mummies.

This is the place that people from San Ángel most identify with. The Carmelite Friar Andrés de San Miguel designed this school and monastery, its first stone was laid on the 29th June, 1615.

The construction of this temple began in 1624, dedicated to San Ángelo Mártir. The facade is in the Herrera style and its bell tower and three tile-covered domes are prominent. The monastery was converted into the Museo de El Carmen in 1929 and is one of the most visited churches in the capital. It still conserves the original rooms where El silencio de los carmelitas is displayed; a permanent exhibition that tells the story of the history of the order through paintings, documents, furniture and sculpture. The corridors now function as a temporary stage for displaying works by contemporary artists. One of the most visited spaces is the area of the crypts, where you can see the mummified remains of Carmelites and benefactors from what was then the El Carmen convent and school.




Museo de El Carmen y Ex Convento de Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Avenida Revolución, San Ángel TNT, San Angel, Mexico City, CDMX, Mexico

See map