Immerse yourself in Río Palizada on a boat trip and observe the plant life that surrounds this river; walk along the boardwalk, see its multicolored houses, horseback ride between mango fields and see hundreds of birds.
Things to do
Services in Palizada
What Makes It Magical
In the southeast part of the state, in the region of rivers and wetlands, you will find Palizada, the town of the mango trees. It warmly receives whoever comes to visit. Along its boardwalk you will see houses with French tile roofs and colourful facades. And there are always plenty of people riding bicycles on its streets. It is quiet during the day, with only the sound of the howler monkeys in the air. In the afternoon, the hustle and bustle of life returns. A boat slowly gliding over the currents of the Río Palizada provokes a desire for the perspective the water has to offer.
Why You Should Go
The Historic Río Palizada
- The town is located on the bank of this river that used to transport the famous Campeche wood, exploited by the English and Spanish.
- The bottom of this river is inhabited by the remains of sunken boats and crocodiles.
- When the mangoes fall from their bushes, manatees appear on the riverbank in search of food.
- Trees heavy with birds, iguanas, and howler monkeys form a part of the lake landscape.
At the Very Least
A boat ride along the river is the perfect opportunity to admire the line of colourful houses that bring the town of Palizada to life.
- Enjoy a hot chocolate and a concha (sweet pastry) in the market.
- Try the ice creams from La Perla de los Ríos in the main plaza.
- Take a boat ride from Palizada to Ciudad del Carmen.