Nombre de Dios
Soak up the scenery along the Tunal river, the awe-inspiring waterfalls, forests of ancient cypress trees, and fascinating religious sites.
Current weather overcast clouds 7
Things to do
Services in Nombre de Dios
What Makes It Magical
The area is filled with waterfalls, natural pools, and tree-lined streams. There’s also numerous church towers, which first rang out the call to prayer in this corner of Durango.
Why You Should Go
Its Colonial Churches
- Templo de San Francisco, a remarkable piece of 16th-century religious architecture. It is the oldest Catholic church in northwest Mexico.
- Templo de Jesús Nazareno, whose door adorned with little angels immediately brings to mind sacred art from Michoacán.
- Three more churches: Iglesia de San Pedro Apóstol from 1790, Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe, and Capilla de la Purísima Concepción.
At the Very Least
- Ex Hacienda de Juana Guerra Ranch
- Local museum Museo Comunitario Contalpa
- El Saltito Falls, Los Berros natural pool, and La Constancia park
- Explore Los Salones, a park filled with towering cypresses.
- Dig into Doña Aleja’s stuffed gordita corn cakes.
- Sample local preserves, candied fruit, fruit wines, and craft beer.