Jalpan de Serra
Take a moment to study the mission in detail. Explore the surrounding rivers, caves, and forest. Discover the flavors of the Huasteca.
Things to do
Services in Jalpan de Serra
What makes it magical
Jalpan is nestled in the heart of the Sierra Gorda, brimming with history and the beauty of nature. Its people remind us of the Pame culture and Huasteca flavors that refuse to die. Jalpan is the launching point for the series of missions established by Junípero Serra and is also the gateway to natural wonders found all around: caves, rivers, waterfalls, and lakes that will have you coming back again and again.
Why you should go
The five Franciscan missions
- They were built by the indigenous Pame people, under the direction of Franciscan monks.
- They symbolize the final Spanish missionary stage in Mexico.
- Their facades are extraordinary examples of Mestizo Baroque.
- Collectively, they are a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
At the very least
Visit the five missions to study the detail of their ornate facades, decorated with intricately carved images of their saints.
- Taking a splash in the Escanela River.
- Trying acamayas (freshwater shrimp), endemic to the Huasteca.
- Walking among the ahuehuetes, the cypress trees that line the Jalpan River, which runs through town.