Explore the Rapids of Bacalar
This natural park’s setting instills a unique sense of being in harmony with your surroundings while simultaneously filling you with both a feeling of peace and a zest for adventure.
If you like to connect with nature while having thrilling escapades, exploring the Rapids of Bacalar is an absolute must! Located just over 8 miles south of this charming Magical Town, this beautiful place promises an incomparable experience. Prepare to be amazed!
Dare to Ride the Rapids of Bacalar, Feel the Thrill!
Undoubtedly one of the most popular attractions in this Magical Town, this site situated 19 miles north of Chetumal and 8 miles from Bacalar, is aptly named for its location along the channel dividing Bacalar Lagoon from Xul-Ha Lagoon. Here, the constant flow of water between the two lagoons creates a powerful current resembling river rapids.
Beyond the currents, the turquoise and emerald tones, and sheer clarity of the water, the most remarkable characteristic of this place is the presence of stromatolites. These microorganisms are the oldest evidence of life detected on Earth, and Bacalar is one of the few places in the world where these formations can be found.
It’s crucial to note that this place operates as a beach club-style resort. There is a fixed fee to access to the rapids, including a life jacket and use of showers, bathrooms, and changing facilities. Canoe rentals and additional purchases are extra.
- Kayak through the area
- Float in the water
- A lengthy wooden platform has been built to allow visitors to walk without harming the stromatolite formations and reach the beginning of the lagoon. The return journey can be made through its currents. Although not deep, if you don’t feel safe swimming, we recommend wearing a life jacket.
Important Information to Consider:
- Avoid touching, standing on, or sitting on the stromatolites. Do not hit them with kayak paddles. Keeping your distance is vital as these microorganisms play a crucial role in the environment.
- Only use biodegradable sunscreen, if needed, to avoid harming to the ecosystem.
- Refrain from touching or collecting any coral, plants, or wildlife.
- Smoking is not permitted in the lagoon.
- Do not dispose of organic or inorganic waste.
- Remember, each and every visitor is responsible for preserving the area.
Los Rápidos de Bacalar, Bacalar, Q.R., MéxicoSee map