Temple of Saint FrancisTemplo de San Francisco
One of Durango’s most emblematic churches, this temple dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi is an important example of 16th century religious architecture. It was built by the order of Brother Gerónimo de Mendoza in 1556 and is the oldest Catholic church in northwest Mexico.
The structure has the unusual distinction of missing its roof. After one of its abutments deteriorated, the walls collapsed in 1946. But its Ionic columns and baroque ornamentation are still here, and the archways which led to the central nave are decorated with unusual palm fronds shaped from mortar.