Take in the view of Popocatepetl. Soak up the color of the nurseries. Get a history lesson by viewing murals. Try the local beer.
Things to do
Services in Atlixco
What Makes It Magical
This town shares its landscape with the Popocatepetl volcano. No matter if you’re on a terrace or at the top of Cerro de San Miguel, the giant can always be seen in the distance with its cloud of smoke, a constant feature of the everyday comings and goings of this Pueblan town. It’s a warm place where fruit trees, plants, and flowers grow at ease. The people of Atlixco make a living from those fruits of the earth and are known for the flowery tapestries they create at times of major celebration.
Why You Should Go
Proximity to Popocatepetl
- Thanks to its location in the volcano’s fertile foothills, during colonial times, Atlixco came to be a major agricultural region.
- During that time, several religious orders came to establish the churches that we still admire today.
- Many water parks and resorts on the slopes of Popocatepetl make the most of the healing properties of the water.
At The Very Least
Check out the smoking giant from Cerro de San Miguel. Sunrise and sunset are both good times.
- Checking out the Juan Manuel Martínez Caltenco murals at the Palacio Municipal.
- Heading to Hotel Mansión del Conde for the view of Popocatepetl from the terrace.
- Checking out the facade of Capilla de la Tercera Orden.